Indian is back.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 20:40
ThreadID: 70470 Views:18369 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Yep, Indian is back.

Well sort of, it's a bit of an involved story really, but it's one I stumbled across in the intranet and enjoyed so figured I'd relate the details here for anyone interested.

Indian motorcycles - were the FIRST big motorcycle manufacturer in America commencing production in 1901, 2 years BEFORE the now famous "Hardley Davidson" began production in 1903 ;o)

The above lil picture is a veiled reference to the fact that Indian motorcycles were first, and have been "Smoking Harley Davidsons" since they commenced production in 1903.

The pretty gal on the bike's name bye the way - is appropriately enough "Medicine Woman" hence her smokin the peace pipe.

Now sadly - Indian bikes ceased production in the late 1950's in the USA, succumbing to the competition from Harley Davidson.

A great many Motorcycle afficianardos were sad to see the passing of Indian motorcycles both here in Aus and in the USA as well.

There are still clubs in Australia for riders of restored old Indian Motorbikes and those for sale bring some very high prices, - some much higher even than a NEW Harley Davidson.

Something like this beautifully restored 1947 Indian Chief, would set you back about $38K Australian (visit http://www.parkerindian.com.au) and view their for sale list if your interested.

Anyway - in about 1998 in America - a group under the leadership of a Mr Gilroy, bought up some of the old Indian pant manufacturing machinery and got access to the regd trade name and resurrected Indian motorcycles with a small production run of some 380 motorcycles for a few years until it went belly up in 2005.

These are known as the Gilroy (factory) Indians of 1998 - 2005 era.

Again - there are clubs all affiliated in the USA under the umbrella of the Iron Indian Riders Association, run by a national "tribal council" who organise rides etc to benefit charity's across the nation for the various state chapters.

The "give away" sign of Indian Bikes is of course the Indian Chiefs head mounted on the front fender.

There are some wonderfull examples of the Gilroy Indians still plying the roads in the USA, however it seems few if any made their way to Australia due to the Australiabn Design Rules compliance problems with such a small dedicated production run bike.

From what I can tell, the Indian Chief models and Indian Scouts were the most produced bikes and seem to be the majority still on the road.

OK so Indian dies for a second time, when the Gilroy Factory closed in 2005.

And that would be the rough much abbreviated "history" of Indian Motorcycles if it wasn't for the entry of one John Stellican - (An American with an Australian Wife) who made a small fortune finding and buying up small manufacturers of well respected American icons companys that had fallen on hard times - and resurrecting them back to blue chip companies.

One of his best known recent successes - was the purchase of the American "Chris Craft" brand, boat building factory that was on its knees, and building it back up to a blue chip company.

Next on John Stellicans agenda, was Indian Motorcycles, which he has bought and resurrected yet again - this time at the all new "Kings Mountain" factory in USA.

Yes as of this year 2009, Indain is Back and in full swing.

These 2009 production run Chiefs are referred too as the Stellican or KM (Kings Mountain) Indians, and MOSt of the new parts retrofit the original Indians - right back to the early original models

You can read all about it and drool over the new releases on the showroom floor at their website.

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com

As I understand it - in my communications with the company - they will remain a limited production company (but with annual production runs much larger than the previous Gilroy Indians), producing first Cheifs, and then scouts as well.

They are opening new dealerships in most of the Satesof the US as well as canadian and European dealers.

They assure me it is intended to eventually have dealers in the larger states of Australia, but not until the Chief gets thru the Australian ADR rules process which could tale anything up to 12 months yet.

Hopefully for those with a soft spot in their heart for the old (and new) Indians, this will come to pass and we will see once again the Indians gracing our highways once again alongside the Harley Davidsons.

I for one would love to see it!

I am not associated with anyone at Indian Motorcycles in the USA - I just have a real interest in Indian Motorcycles old and new thatI thought I'd share with anyone interested.

I hope you got some enjoyment out of it!

If anyone hasn't seen it, get a copy of the movie "the worlds fastest indian" forsome more on the Early History of Indian Motorcycles.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Flywest - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 20:47

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 20:47
Sorry but the size of that first pic - were I able to edit my post I'd shrink that photo and bring the whole post back to a width within the limits of the screen without scrolling!
AnswerID: 373518

Follow Up By: Flywest - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 20:48

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 20:48
Its the 2nd pic which is too wide.
FollowupID: 640640

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 21:04

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 21:04
Interesting...............

Thanks for sharing:)

;-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 373521

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 07:07

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 07:07
Flywest....

Thanks for that, I found it really interesting. Although my Honda gets called a "Jappa-Harley"... I have long felt that the bike more closely resembles an Indian than a Harley. Nothing wrong with either mind you, I'd love to own a HD, (or an Indian for that matter)

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 373552

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 08:15

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 08:15
Thanks for sharing this fascinating story. I have watched 'The World's Fastest Indian' a few times, I love the story especially the guy's ingenuity in making the pistons etc.
(And yes it is OT LOL LOL) but who cares.
AnswerID: 373566

Reply By: Flywest - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 13:09

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 13:09
I guess I shoulda probaby put in a few pics of some of the NEW models from the "Stellican" Kings Mountain Factory, based in North Carolina to compare to the vintage and "Gilroy" Indians in the above pics.

Standard Chief

Delux Chief

Roadmaster Chief

Vintage Chief.

I would guess that the scouts might be nixt in line for manufacture - but I'm guessing so don't quote me please.

Cheers
AnswerID: 373588

Sponsored Links